purchased from Edmund Randolph in 1788
lawyer, Revolutionary War militia officer, legal scholar, and judge, St.
George Tucker brought three lots on Williamsburg's Palace green from
Edmund Randolph for £100 in 1788. The property included the site of
William Levingston's theater, the first in America. Bermuda-born but
educated at the College of William & Mary, Tucker moved the largest
structure, a 1716 building that had been Levingston's home, to its present
location on Nicholson Street to face the more-fashionable Market Square.
enlarged several times to accommodate Tucker's children
rambling but graceful wooden building was enlarged several times, partly
to accommodate Tucker's children. He was married twice and had nine
children and five stepchildren.
a large family must have required a sense of humor, which Tucker
undoubtedly had, as evidenced by his writing "Garrison Articles to be
Observed by the Officers and Privates Stationed at Ft. St. George Tucker
in Williamsburg" in order to teach his many children deportment.
Tucker himself was "fort comander." One of the 13 articles read,
"No Captain or subaltern officer or private shall presume to dance or
run about the room at Breakfast or Dinner time."
constructed Williamsburg's first bathroom
is better known for editing Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of
England (Philadelphia, 1803) to put them in an American context. He also
is credited with the construction of Williamsburg's first bathroom: he
converted his backyard dairy house and installed in it a copper bathtub
into which heated water was piped. The tub had a drain, a novelty at the
was a charter member and officer of Williamsburg's "Society for the
Promotion of Useful Knowledge." He was an avid gardener, and there
appear to be traces of 18th-centruy gardens in the yard.
known Christmas tree erected at the house in 1842
& Mary Professor Charles F.E. Minnigerode, a political refugee from
the principality of Hesse-Darmstadt, put up Williamsburg's first recorded
Christmas tree at the house in 1842. He was a friend of Tucker's son
Nathanial Beverley Tucker. Minnigerode enjoyed Nathanial's children and
put up a tree for them in the Tucker parlor in the German Yuletide
tradition. A small tree, emblematic of the occasion, now is left each
Christmas on the porch.
descendants owned home until 1993
house was restored in 1930 and 1931. Tucker's descendants lived in the
house until 1993.
St. George Tucker House is not a Colonial Williamsburg exhibition site.
George Tucker House Block 29, Building 2